After a long 1st day of convocation, another appreciation and celebration dedicated to a few high achieving undergraduates and postgraduates together with some industries who presented these awards was held in Dorsett Hotel, Putrajaya on the Saturday night. This initiative was led by the staffs from Local Promotion Unit (LPU). The event was carried out in one of the function rooms of the hotel.
· Tun Dato’ Seri Zaki Tun Azmi, Chancellor of MMU.
· Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Dr Sulaiman Mahbob, Chairman.
· Dato’ Sri Dr Halim Shafie, Honorary Doctorate Recipient of MMU’s Convocation.
· Prof Dr. Ahmad Raf, President of MMU
· Tan Sri Dato’ Zamzamzairani Mohd Isa, CEO of Telekom Malaysia
The event begun with a few inspiring speeches by the VVIPs followed by performances. One of the highlighted performance during the night was the original singer of Permata Dunia who is also a former lecturer in MMU.
The names of the respective past presidential award recipients are as follows :
· Dr Eddy Chong Siong Choy, alumni from class of 2000 (the 1st batch of graduates)
· Dr Yyonne Lee Lean Ee, alumni from class of 2003
· Ong Swee Sin, alumni from class of 2007
· Yew Wei Lit, alumni from class of 2007
· Dheepan Pranthaman, alumni from class of 2010
· Michael Chang Ming Wei, alumni from class of 2010
The night concluded and as the crowd adjourned. MMU Editorial Squad crew managed to approach all the past presidential awards recipients for a short interview. For the full video and interview, do check out our video on the MMUES Facebook Page or CampusBuzz Website.
(i) where do they see MMU in the next 20 years to come?
(ii) What were the things they learned from MMU which they applied in their journey after graduating from MMU?
(iii) What are their advice for the current students who are now pursuing their degree?
To share a few answers from them, Dr Eddy replied to the 1st question saying “Harvard or Oxford”, another answer was that MMU to be one of the preferred choice for post-graduate studies. As for the 2nd question, most of the recipients answered that their involvement in clubs or societies and events that shaped up their soft skills proven to be useful in their working life from communication and leadership skills. For the last question, Dr Yvonne shared her experience and advised the juniors to ‘try everything’; one of the recipients also reminded us to be prepared for changes as one day what we learn may no longer be applicable. He shared that we should not be afraid instead make ourselves ready to adapt to any situation.
In a nutshell, all the recipients were very generous with their advice and do check out the full interview and pictures of the event in the MMUES Facebook page and website. Congratulations to all the awards recipients their amazing and tremendous achievements in their academics.
By Ian Hannibal